Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Question is-should they dredge Ohio & make it part of Lake Erie? Friday July 1

I drove 336 miles today. After some blueberry pancakes from Carol I left Lou's place & got on 94S towards Detroit. I got on 275S, passed the Tigers Co-America Ball Park & jumped on 75S thru the chemical & manufacturing areas around the city. Lots of very large car plants are closed with empty parking lots. Traffic was moving at 75-80MPH, but it was more civilized than around LA-the cars were probably 60 feet apart instead of 20 ft. I passed the familiar nuclear cooling stacks at Monroe, MI & got on 475S around Toledo, OH. At Rossford, OH I stopped at a Subway & watched a tow truck operator with the local police break into a van & haul it away & somebody in cuffs. As long as it wasn't me it was just entertainment. I passed thru Bowling Green on the way to Findlay, OH & turned east at 224. I rode thru the Ohio countryside, sort of like passing thru Arkansas, but less hills. I passed thru Greenwich, Homerville & Lodi finally entered Akron, OH. I turned south on 277 & passed by the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH. I went east on 172 & thought it would be nice to see part of the countryside so I got on 30E. Lots of hills, forest & turns. It was very pretty, but slow going. It's the kind of road where you come to the top of the hill & you can't tell which direction the road is headed so you can't go too fast. I was sort of concerned about deer too. I pulled into a gravel parking lot in Hanoverton, OH at Pinky's Restaurant-home to "world famous fish, steak, etc., etc." & almost went in to check it out. It was starting to get late & I thought better of it. Good thing I did because I had a lot of twisty road to drive yet before I got out of the woods. I finally linked back up with 172E, passed thru Lisbon, OH & went south on 11 towards East Liverpool, OH. I, being naive, thought it would be nice to spend my last night in East Liverpool vs. going onto Pittsburgh. There was lots of road construction & when I exited the highway I had to drop off a 4" lip on the new asphalt. I stopped on a side street to check out the hotels & had another biker stop & ask if I needed directions. I told him I was looking for a hotel & he said I ought to go to West Virginia instead of staying. I decided to go to the East Liverpool Motor Lodge. Yelp gave it a 3 star rating. I guess that rating was based on Ohio standards, i.e., not very high. I put the bike under the overhang in front & got a room. I had to walk about 75 yards to get to it down a long dingy hallway. My room was OK although I was waiting for crawly things to come out of the bathroom. I went to their restaurant, T-Bone, supposedly the best in the area. Maybe it was, but my salad had spoiled lettuce in it. I almost walked out. Instead I ate my steak then asked one waitress if she would eat that mess. She said no, but didn't apologize. When my regular waitress came by I asked her why she didn't apologize & her response was "Well you didn't ask for another salad so I thought it was OK". I gave her the least amount of a tip of the whole trip. I was feeling a bit edgey so I went into the bar and had 3 Maker's Marks & coke. That settled down my nerves. I'm still going to go on Yelp & let everyone know what happened at that dump. It would not have been so bad, but it still cost me $80 for the night. I did get to play two games of pinball on the way back to the room though. Only one more day to go & I would see my dog, Mischief and Tracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment