Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Big Sur and Crazy Santa Cruz





I left Paso Robles this morning and headed south to 46W towards Cambria and Pacific Highway 1N. I passed a lot of pretty vineyards some of which I knew and others I'd probably like to become intimate with. The weather was cool and it was sunny out. I finally got to Hwy 1 and stopped to add an insulating fleece to my jacket for the ride north on 1. I stopped at various vista points to enjoy the scenery. I passed by San Simeon and the Hearst Castle and stopped at the vista point where the elephant seals hang out. There are some really big elephant seals. I headed north on the curvy steep road and hit numerous road blocks. It was quite foggy and chilly. I stopped numerous times because the scenery is so spectacular. I want it dedicate today's ride to my brother, Tony, since he wanted to ride Big Sur. I rode for miles on the cliff side road where lots of rock slides occurred earlier this year and late last year. Big Sur was spectacular and I walked down to the beach to catch it up close. Along the path were a number of wild flowers that were in full bloom. I finally got to Monterey and called my friend Scott in Santa Cruz. He was available and ready to party in Santa Cruz. We joined up with Sue his partner and Swen one of their friends and sipped wine (2009 Storr Chardonnay). Scott, Sue and I then found one of their favorite restaurants, Saif Wine Bar and had dinner. I had duck breast and a Santa Ynez syrah with my main course. We then went up to an overlook above the city and checked out a building that was featured during a recent vampire movie. We retired to Scott and Sue's house and drank some more good wine until retiring for the evening. I drove 172 miles today of curvy steep foggy coastal highway 1. Tomorrow we tackle some really good trout streams.

No comments:

Post a Comment