Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hit or Miss and Road racing in LA





The day dawned cool. Gordon and I went to a little place on the Pacific Coast Hwy for breakfast. I loaded up the bike, had on my trusty t-shirt and hit the road. From the time I left with my jacket on again it was a road race. Traffic on 5N and 405N was like a NASCAR race with cars whizzing by at above 70 mph at 30 feet apart. I had one guy in a food truck change lanes come right at me at 70mph without even looking . He finally looked over at me as I was scooting out of the way. He looked down at me and mouthed "sorry". Funny thing is the driver's window was wide open and I am driving a Harley that is certainly not quiet. Later in the afternoon a garbage bag flew out of the back of a pickup. It contained several empty beer cans that flew directly at me. Well it's an interesting quandary as to what you do while traffic is flying around you at 70 plus mph and two beer cans are flying thru the air at you as if in slow motion. Now realize an empty beer can might not hurt you normally but at 70 mph it might take you out. I zigged and I zagged and the cans flew by me. I did not turn around to see if they were disposed of properly. I finally got off to get gas and rest my legs after 120 miles. I called Gordon's brother Alan and met him at the company he works for called "Supra Alloys". They only deal with titanium. Do you know that titanium costs $25/lb? And some planes have 170,000 lbs. Of titanium. That's a lot of heavy metal. We had a great lunch of salmon and greens. I was back on the road again after touring the work space of his company. BTW you are never going to meet two better brothers than Gordon and Alan. It was cool and I was riding along 101N alongside the ocean and all the fog and cool breezes. It got colder and I finally had to pull to the side of the road and put on the liner as well as the jacket. I was thinking this is a lot different than 100plus degree days I experienced last week. I finally got to Paso Robles and got a room. I then decided to take a short two mile walk to downtown Paso Robles. I ended up at Villa Creek Tavern and tried a 2010 Villa Creek Grenache blanc/rousanne/picpoul and a 2008 rendarrio cab Sauvignon both from Paso Robles. The staff including Chad the friendly bartender was really helpful. He even brought out a bottle of 2008 Saxon Broken Stone, the No. 1 wine from Wine Spectator this year. I drove 335 miles today. The t-shirt likes hot weather better than cold weather but is still going strong and I don't mean stinky. More thoughts tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe "The Shirt" is not stinky at this point. Maybe it's getting aerated everyday as you drive 70 mph. Also, "The Shirt" can do whatever it wants now, but once it comes home it is going to be introduced to Mrs. GE Washer and Mr. GE Dryer. ;)

    ReplyDelete