Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rolling, rolling, rolling




Day 2 began with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I promised myself I'd eat healthy on this trip and I'm sticking to it. I decided I needed to get some miles under me so I got on 81S. Turned on the cruise control to 70MPH and off down the hi-way I went. Thank goodness for cruise control. It gives me a small measure of relaxation and I get to look around a lot more. I ran hard for several hours as the heat hadn't settled over me yet. Broke for lunch in Bristol and stood in the AC for awhile to cool down. By the time I hit Knoxville it was hot, but my wool t-shirt was keeping me cool. It is amazing how much liquid you can drink being out in the elements. I drank 2 qts of Gatorade before getting back on the road. On the west side of Knoxville I got off of 40W and tried to use the route I planned at home. Unfortunately the first road I tried was strip mall haven and loaded with traffic. I quickly got back on 40W and drove for another 20 miles. The second time I got it right. 70W was all about curves and nice stretches of shaded woods and farm country. I was starting to enjoy my ride again. I passed by the famous Wampler sausage processing plant where the main house has a gated drive way protected by cement pigs. Very nice and welcoming. I almost stopped by at the "I Be Uplifted" church of Christ on the backroads, but instead continued on. I passed thru Ozone and finally found a friendly place to get a drink at the Cumberland County line Saloon that has a drive thru pickup window for motorcycles. Isn't good service great when you can get it? At about 6PM I decided I better get back on the hi-way because I still had a 100 miles or so to get to Nashville. I decked I had enough riding for the day so I stayed downtown about 15 minutes walk from the area filled with music places and eateries. I saw Elvis several times and we took a picture together. In keeping with my healthy eating theme I had Duck Fat TAter Tots and fish tacos at Merchants-in business since 1892. Imaged to take in several country western bands and then called it a night. I gained an hour so I got to sleep a little more. I'm off to Memphis for BBQ and blues tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment