Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's Sunday So It Must Be Arkansas

I was drenched by the time I loaded up my bike this morning. It must have been a thousand degrees or at least it felt that way. I left 40W shortly After I crossed over the river (BTW there were still lots of fields that were flooded) outside of Memphis and got on 64W. It parallels 40W but is only two lanes and travels thru the center of farm country. I saw numerous dust devils that look like minature tornados swirling in the open fields. Saw several road kill armadillos. I stopped in Bald Knob AR at "The Bayou Market" and had an oyster Po Boy for lunch. Two guys from Chatham and Lynchburg Virginia riding Harleys to Austin for a bike rally saw my license plate and stopped by to say Hey. As I was pulling into Wynne AR their city sign said "The city that Smiles" or something like that. I pulled over to take a picture and was attacked by a swarm of small black flies. The kind that hangs around your face and flies up your nose. After spitting out several I rushed back onto the bike to make my get away. As I looked back I swear a black cloud was trying to keep up with me. On the west side of Little Rock I got off 64W and took 9S to 28W and then to 80W thru the Quachita National Forest. I finally got some overcast skies and went thru an area where it had just rained. It was sort of chilly dropping down to 85 degrees. It was 90 when I went thru Huntington AR at 6:30PM and it felt very comfortable. I saw one bank sign today with 99 on it and it was 95 at 7:30PM when I got into Fort Smith AR. They set a record of 98 here today. Now onto the news you've been waiting for. Although I drove another 352 miles today my t-shirt came thru with flying colors. Not a whiff of anything. Everything just wicks away. I think I would like to meet the sheep that gave up it's merino wool for my t-shirt. It must have a fresh look about it and I bet it's cute too. My anti-microbial underwear are still hanging in there too. I don't think sheep supplied the synthetics for it's construction, but maybe somebody cute made them. Kind of makes you wonder. Finally an observation on the cows of Arkansas. They might be the smartest most naive cows around. Y'all know it's hot here. Well a lot of cows have found their way into the ponds they normally drink out of. It keeps them cool. That's smart. However I believe they are too dumb to get out. Soon you will be reading about all the cows in Arkansas that have become water logged and bloated. No doubt the Democrats will pass a law to rectify the problem. Watch for the small notices on the beef packages you buy in the stores warning about "water added to beef".

1 comment:

  1. Ok. So I think I got in this Blogger thing Vic. hope you were not abused by flies today. Where the heck are you now? Did you see the D-Day paintball war in NE Oklahoma today? You should have been close.

    ReplyDelete