Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sand Dunes, rocks and Wind

I drove 195 miles today. I left Yuma and it was already 85. I took Interstate 8 towards San Diego and zipped right along. The scenery wasn't the most exciting, but it wasn't too hot out either. I could see the fence the US has put up on the Mexican border to keep illegal immigrants out. There is also an area where there are immense sand dunes which people come from all over to ride their recreational vehicles. Around El Centro you start seeing the large irrigation ditches and then miles of fields of hay and other crops. After El Centro there are signs warning about high winds for the next 60 miles or so. They are not kidding. Gusts were hitting me at about 30 to 40MPH. I started to climb in elevation and there was a sign that stated Air Conditioning should be shut off for the next 10 miles to avoid overheating. Alongside the road there were frequent stops for radiators. Also thru this area there were very large mounts of large rocks. Sort of strange and the wind howled. It got pretty cold too and I had to stop and put on my jacket again. I finally got closer to San Diego and traffic increased alot. I rolled into Gordon and Leslie's place in Encinitas and got to play with their two Jack Russels, Finley and Roxie. We had some great wine with a salmon dinner that Leslie prepared and Gordon and I watched the Washington Nationals beat the San Diego Padres 2-1. What better way to end the day and sing my t-shirt to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment