Friday, June 24, 2011

What a Rush (more) & a Bad Man In the Badlands

I drove 258 miles today. I left Sundance with the sun shining down on me. I got on 14E towards Spearfish SD and got off to see the sights, I thought. They were digging up main street & the gas attendant told me on the other side of main I'd find the historical district. I drove it & it wasn't there. Nothing old, nothing historic. I got back on 14E & drove to Sturgis SD. First I stopped at the Harley dealer & made my first t-shirt purchase of the trip.
I drove thru the streets of this storied town & then headed out on a recommended ride from the Harley dealer. It was alternatively sunny & overcast & I thought it would rain, but not yet it didn't. I took 170/135/26S to Nemo, Nemo Rd. to 173 to 44W to 385S to 16A to Mt. Rushmore. You ride thru the little town of Keystone which is full of tourist trap places. As you approach the site it looms out of nowhere to tantalize you with it's image. Parking is $11 but hey you don't have a choice if you want to see it relatively close. The four presidents are magnificent.
Lots of people but not too bad. I left after an hour & took 16 back to Rapid City & then 44E. The skies looked real mean to the north. I was undecided whether I should head for the Badlands or not. I stopped in the Rapid City Airport to check out the weather. I figured who better than the airport to know the weather. Well the guy at the United counter said there wasn't any severe weather warnings. I was unable to get the toll gate to trigger for my Harley so I didn't have a ticket to get out. The first 20 minutes were free anyway. More on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment