Sunday, June 26, 2011

So Dry! Blue Earth, Spam & Please La Crosse Me


I drove 313 miles today. I was on 90E all day. I dressed for it, I waited for it, I was ready, but I am still dry. Maybe tomorrow-they are predicting rain everywhere. No escape :( Don't worry the t-shirt is not sweating it. I got smacked hard in the ear today by a big bug. No slime so I'm not sure what it was but it hurt. I stopped in Blue Earth, seriously, to see the 60 foot high Jolly Green Giant. It's called Blue Earth because the soil is supposedly so rich. I couldn't resist-I saw the sign to visit the Spam Museum in Austin MN.
It was great & I got 3 free samples fresh off the grill-hickory smoked, garlic & Hot & Spicy! They had great displays, a movie & trivia studio about Spam & I got to put on an actual official Hormel uniform. And best of all-it was free! Did you know they make 44,000 cans of Spam an hour! Hawaii eats the most Spam of any state. Spam is real big in Korea & Japan.
After my snack, movie & totally enjoyable museum tour I headed for La Crosse WI. I crossed the Mississippi River & out of Minnesota to La Crosse.
I walked downtown to Fayzes & ate-guess what? Another walleye dinner. This was the best yet. I walked down to the river after dinner by the many bars (La Crosse was in the Guiness World Book of records as the highest bar per capita ratio in the world). I finally settled in at the Bodega Brew Pub, home of 400+ beers. I had several including a New Glarus Fat Squirrel Brown. I traded jokes with the bartender & then headed back to my room to put the T-shirt down for the evening. Tomorrow watch for Wet & Wild in Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment