Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chilling in Santa Cruz








I decided to take another break today and drove 0 miles. I did clean all the dead bugs off my windshield and chrome though. Some uppity cat walked on the bike last night and left muddy paw prints on my tank and seat. Every day I take fresh water and dutifully clean the bike. I want the bike to look sharp for the t-shirt ;). I had a couple firsts today for the trip. I ate cereal with fruit, I am actually washing the AMU, although I don't believe it needs it and I had "The Jakes Burger" at a small burger place called simply enough "Burger". It had bacon and bleu cheese with sweet potato fries. It was good, but I think I'll hold off having another for a special occasion. Scott and I went to Storr Winery tasting room when it opened up at noon and tried a half dozen wines. I am diligently planning out the next few days of the trip. Looks like nasty weather in parts of Montana and in the middle of the country. I like to leave myself some lee-way so I can go around really bad stuff if I can. I plan going to northern California tomorrow along Highway 1 then onto northern Oregon thru Portland and towards western Washington state. From there I'm not really sure. I'd like to go to Mount Rushmore if I can. I also know I want to meet up with my brother in northern Illinois and check on him and his new job selling liquor and see if he has any samples to try. Scott and I went over to his neighbor Vic's place (cool name) and we went into his basement where he keeps his wine. He has alot of really old California wines from the '80s and '90s. He gave us new potatoes out of his garden, I picked fresh lettuce from Sue's garden and we had a great dinner of grilled chicken and Storrs 2008 Award winning Zinfandel. After dinner we sat around and talked about Scott and Sue's trip to Kenya in 2003 and where Tracy and I should go in Africa (maybe next year?). Well time to get some sleep, dream about the road tomorrow and get ready to put the t-shirt back to work. I wonder what my dog, Mischief is dreaming about tonight? She would have loved being near all the water I have passed. She moans when we drive by a lake or a river that she can smell because she loves the water so much. Talk to you tomorrow. BTW, Sue and Scott are the best. Tracy and I went to Oregon last October with them and had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment