Monday, June 20, 2011

Humbolt Fog, Redwoods & Elk





I drove 361 miles on Saturday June 18. I left Fortuna CA with overcast skies and didn't see the sun again until late in the day. I drove to Eureka CA and stopped in the Harley dealer looking for a face mask and some glove liners. Mile after mile of damp cold weather starts to seep into your bones after a while. Good thing I stopped as the famous Humbolt fog rolled in from the coast and 101N was socked in most of the day. It was pretty thick at times and I tried to follow other cars when I could. I finally stopped and fully geared up with all my rain gear. I drove thru numerous Redwood state parks and stopped along the way to view elk that seemed to be everywhere. I probably saw a hundred elk during the day. I stuck to 101N all th way to Reedsport OR and then took 38E along the Umpqua River towards Eugene Or. I went thru some famous places-Humbolt where they make great bleu cheese, Mad River, Smith River, Klamath, Coos Bay, Gold Beach, Crescent City and Pistol River (not in order). I must say I'd rather ride in the heat than the fog and rain. Finally pulled into Eugene at 9:15 and got a room across the street from University of Oregon. I went to the Track Town Pizzeria where U of Oregon track stars hang out. However I did not meet any fast women there. The t-shirt is indifferent to the wet cold weather. It's cool no matter what. Tomorrow I head east.

No comments:

Post a Comment