Friday, June 24, 2011

More on the Bad Man in the Badlands-Friday June 24, 2011

I drove up to the toll attendant & told him I couldn't get a ticket & asked him about the weather in the Badlands. He said the area was under a storm watch & he wouldn't go out there on a bike as there is no protection. He let me drive around the gate to get out. This made me think a bit & then I decided to run like a bad man in the Badlands. I was going to outrun those storm clouds. What the heck Scenic SD was only an hour away & I could hold up there if necessary. The clouds were mean & threatening to the north & south & behind me. After an hour I got to Scenic & it wasn't there. No buildings, nada. I knew I better run fast cuz the punishment was bearing down on me. I entered Badlands National Park & left it 5 minutes later. Then I saw the loop road thru the park, but it was 25 miles of gravel. Maybe next time.
I stopped by a pond to put on my rain gear & one duck in particular was none too happy about it & quacked at me the whole time I was there. The sky was very dramatic behind me. I passed Interior SD at Cowboy Corner store to stretch. There was a sign for a local bar that said "All Bikers Must Stop". I got into Wall SD & re-entered the park. It started to sprinkle. Maybe I was going to get wet. At one view point a lady with a pair of binoculars near me said she thought she saw 3 Big Horn sheep.
She was correct. I left the park, got to Kodoka SD & found a hotel. The sky was really dark by now.
I ate at the Happy Chef (not) & the wind, lightening & rain came violently. But my bike was safe under the overhang at the hotel. This bad man lives to see another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment