Monday, June 20, 2011

Grass Seed Capital of the World, Columbia Gorge & middle of no where




I drove 370 miles today. I left Eugene and headed north on 5N. I stopped for gas in Linn Or and my eyes were itching, I started sneezing, my nose was running. Guess what Linn claims to be the Grass Seed capital of the world. I will never move there. I set my sights for REI in Portland. I thought I could use some more cold weather gear. I got the long sleeve version of the t-shirt and some long underwear. Don't worry AMU is doing just fine. After Portland I headed east on 84/30E along the Columbia Gorge. The scenery is stunning. It's a very big river, but lots of gusts of wind. I got off at Mosier OR and took 9 miles of hairpin turns and heavy winds on historic 30E. What an engineering feat and some great views. I stopped at Bonneville Dam to stretch my legs. I finally got to 730E and headed towards Umatilla OR. I realized I was in the middle of no where. No wineries, hotels or food that interested me. It was getting late and I wanted to get to Walla Walla. The pace of the traffic picked up and I was following along at 80mph when 5 Corvettes went whizzing by. Finally I arrived in Walla Walla and went to Whitehouse-Crawford for dinner and got a room at Budget Inn right across the street. A six course meal with wine was $75. A great bargain with excellent service, food and wine pairings. I traded some jokes with the chefs and then went to find out the Corvettes were parked at the hotel. More later about the dinner. Tomorrow I head for Missoula MT. Trying to skirt the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment