Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finally on the road



Who says I don't start early on my bike trips? I beat Happy hour by almost 4 hours! Hit the road at 1PM. Great day for riding, hot, but not boiling. I am experimenting with a merino wool t-shirt that was cool in the heat. A sales rep at REI said he wore one for 30 straight days while hiking. Not sure I'll make that many days, but who knows. If I do then everyone will know when I get into their area. Well the rest of the day had some interesting things happen. On my way to Blue Ridge National Park I almost ran out gas. Now that would have been a bummer! It was a pretty day on the ridge, a little windy, but very few cars and it was a bit cooler at elevation. Riding the curves is so much fun. I get in a zone and every thing else clears from my mind. Every time I ride I wonder why I don't do it more. At about 5PM and 47 miles into the 75 mile ridge ride I came upon a line of stopped vehicles. I was hoping it wasn't a traffic jam. Nope, something worse-an accident. Someone - and if you saw where it happened you'd be as mystified as me - drove their car over a 2 foot high 2 foot wide stone wall. They must have gone a long way down the mountain because the car was almost flat. Don't know what happened to the people in the car but it couldn't have been good. This caused me to lose 30 minutes of riding time. Getting good gas mileage-about 46 miles/gal. BTW gas is $3.49/gal near Roanoke. Pulled off north of Roanoke for the night at 7:30. 250 miles today. Tomorrow the goal is to get to Nashville so I can listen to country music.

No comments:

Post a Comment