Sunday, June 12, 2011

Curves Galore



I drove 337 miles today. I have a disclaimer about this blog site. It is very hard to work with and very inflexible. I try to correct mistakes before I post, but sometimes the site will not let me go back and make corrections. I also have not been able to post photos from my iPad. Instead I have to send them to Tracy to post thru a normal computer. It was jacket time again this morning. It got down to 50 last night in Flagstaff. I hit 40W and them hopped on 89A south towards Sedona. What a ride! Lots of pine trees and hills. Unfortunately the traffic was a bit heavy. As I got closer to Sedona the scenery changed to reflect the valley thru which a small river flowed. The cliffs rose up and the rocks turned red. The traffic got heavier. Lots of camping sites and people out for the weekend to enjoy the weather. By the time I got to Sedona I had to take off my jacket. Sedona was swamped with tourists and I got out of town as quickly as traffic would let me. Heading south on 89A toward Cottonwood and the road had a lot of curves and had a nice flow to it. I drove thru historic Cottonwood and checked out the scenery. I left there continuing on 89A and the road got really interesting. I think I'm a decent biker but I had all I could handle on the stretch just before Jerome AZ. It was very pretty and the mountains started to get real rugged. As I cruised into historic Jerome and all the tourists that weren't in Sedona were obviously here. The streets were very steep and narrow and the traffic was stop and go. It was all I had to do to keep the bike going. As I exited the small city there was a sign that said "Very ( unbelieveably) Steep and Curvy Road for 12 miles" or something like that. They were not exaggerating and it upped the ante from the ride earlier in the day. For 12 miles I continually shifted down into first gear to take hairpin turns at 10mph. As I came off the mountain there was a sign in front of a restaurant that said "Chill Out after the Hilll. Stop in and have a drink to destress". I considered it for a short period. I rolled into Prescott and stopped at Berry's Pie Pantry and restaurant for lunch. I had my second piece of the trip. Last night in Flagstaff I had a Berry pie in the Village Inn next to the Super 8. It was a 6.5 out of 10. I had tart cherry pie at Berry's and I would give it a 7. Leaving Prescott I took the Iron Springs road to Kirkland and back out to 89S and onto Congress AZ. I elected to leave Congress and headed south on 71 to Aquila AZ to 60S. The road was flying along as the sun shined right into my eyes for the second day in a row. I fueled up at Quartsite AZ, home of a thousand RV parks. Apparently 1.5million snow birds come to the area in the winter time. A whole economy has sprung up in the last 15 years to satisfy their every want and need. 95S out of Quartsite was straight as an arrow. I could have taken my hands and put them behind my head. There were lots of signs saying watch out for animals and flash floods. I passed by the Yuma Test Grounds and cruised into Yuma for the evening. I forgot yesterday to mention that I passed by consecutive exits for towns named "Two Guns" and "Twin Arrows". I wonder if they had something to do with each other?

1 comment:

  1. We need to find you some better pie Vic. Give me a clue as to what towns you might be going through and I'll do some research for you if you want. A man needs some good pie on the road.

    ReplyDelete