Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Getting My Kicks On Route 66


I left Weatherford Ok this morning while it was only 80. I headed west on 40 towards Amarillo Tx. I got off at Elk City OK to go see the National Route 66 Museum. By the time I got out it was 98. The weather continued to get hotter and it was 100 by the time I got to Amarillo TX. The wind had picked up and was blowing right in my face all afternoon. Texas was flat. I did see an amazingly large cattle feedlot. I would estimate about 10,000 head. That's alot of steak on the hoof.I finally arrived in Santa Rosa NM. I gained another hour. Got a room at the Budget Inn. I really do mean budget at $29.99. I went to Joseph's for dinner hoping to have some Hatch chilis but they were out. Since today was sort of boring I will fill in with bike seating positions and maneuvers. There are two basic places to put your feet-one is on the platforms and the other is on the road pegs. There is obviously only one place for your posterior. Now the trick is to stay comfortable with these limited options. Well while riding along at 70MPH your imagination can become very inventive. You can slide forward, backward and sideways. You can practice the ever popular clinch. You can push your leg out to the side. Then you can pull it back in and push the other leg out to the side. Start a game- push 'em out, pull 'em back in, alternate 'em. You can do the same with the foot pegs. Now you can get a bit fancier and lean forward and to notch it up a degree you can try half standing up. You have to be careful and keep your head low as standing straight up all of a sudden can cause you to almost fly backwards ( I have heard this from other sources). I managed 374 miles today. BTW the t-shirt sez Hey!

No comments:

Post a Comment